How to ensure your plants with stay alive during Summer
We love Summer in Perth! Beach days, spending time outside and balmy evenings…although our gardens and plants can suffer in the heat. Have you come up with a plan to ensure your plants don’t die this summer? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with these Dickies tips and tricks.
1) Water: This is an obvious one, but can sometimes be miss understood or not done properly. When watering your plants, ensure they get a good solid soaking (check your plants watering requirements first just to be sure). If you quickly spritz the garden with the hose or watering can, 9 times out of 10 the water will just settle on the leaves. Get up close and personal and soak your plants at the base. This will ensure the deep soil and roots are getting water.
2) Don’t overreact: If it’s been a hot day and your plants look dry, droopy and well…dead. Don’t overreact and drastically prune or pull out the plant. Instead, give it some water and see how it looks in the morning after having the night to cool off.
3) Mulch: Mulch can be a life saver for your garden this Summer. It holds in moisture and keeps roots cool and protected from heat and direct sunlight. If you’re after some good quality mulch, give us a call on 9249 4077 or contact us for a free quote.
4) Reconsider fertiliser: When your plants are looking dull and dry, it’s normal to think fertiliser will help…and most times it does. Although, fertiliser is only effective when the plant is most and watered enough – otherwise the fertiliser could damage the plant more by making it dryer.
5) Change your watering times: For most people they water their gardens in the morning or during day. Although, this can cause risks of scorching and evaporation due to the plants being hot from the sun. Try watering your plants in the late evening or at night this Summer. Also before you change your watering times, consider the climate you live in.
6) Potted plants need more love: Compared to plants that grow in the ground, potted plants only have a small space to distribute their heat, so they are more inclined to dry, wilt or die in the heat. Try to move your potted plants into the shade, or if you can why not bring some of your favourites inside this Summer for an “inside outside” greenhouse feel. Also, potted plants need more watering that others. Make sure you read your plants watering requirements on their label or online before starting a watering schedule.
And there you have it, some nifty Dickies tips and tricks that you can easily implement into your gardening routine to make sure your plants stay looking lush this Summer!
Dickies Trees are qualified arborists and tree surgeons with 30 years of experience. We specialise in all professional tree services, including tree removal, tree stump grinding, tree lopping and power line clearance. We can also deliver mulch to you, or even prune your trees.
We offer seven day a week service and after hours/emergency call outs. As a major government, shire and business contractor, we are extremely professional and fully insured. We offer you exceptional, reliable service.
Give our friendly team a call on 9249 4077 to discuss your tree and garden requirements.