How to create a waterwise Aussie garden
Just take a look at Australian natives, they’re durable, reliable and beautiful! There’s no reason why a waterwise garden should look dry or boring. Did you know in Australia we use almost half of our house hold water consumption in our gardens? The Dickies team has noticed here in Perth, people tend to over water their gardens. Not only is this a waste, but it’s also a poor use of your money. Keep reading to discover how to create a stunning Aussie waterwise garden…that will bring down your water bill. It’s a win win!
There’s no point in spending all of Spring planting a gorgeous lush garden…when Summer comes around and unfortunately dries them out. The Summer Aussie heat and lack of rain in Perth can leave your gardens looking dull and dry. Although, there are some easy alternatives to having a colourful garden all year round. Keep reading to discover the benefits of planting a waterwise garden.
- They’re low fuss, look great and come in a variety of shapes and colours
- They lower bushfire risks by not being as susceptible to heat and burning
- Once established, you’ll only need to water them once a week!
- They conserve water and save money (thanks to less watering and a lower water bill)
- You’re not just limited to cacti and succulents – choose from perennials, bulbs, trees, shrubs and more
You’ll feel so great planting and caring for a waterwise garden! Here are some Dickies tips for making sure you get the full benefits of creating a waterwise garden;
- Grouping: When you begin planting your garden, try to plant them in categories of ones that need the most watering and ones that need the least – that way you aren’t wasting water on plants that need less if they are planted together.
- Make the most of slopes: If you can’t get your hand on special water wise plants, try to plant your foliage on the bottom of a slope – this way the soil gathers water and stays moist.
- Don’t over water your plants: This is a big one, and a misconception held by many Aussies. From the get go, train your plants. If you hold off from watering too often then the roots of the plant will grow deeper looking for more water, and will then need less watering in the future.
- Know your plants: Waterwise plants tend to have thick and fleshy leaves, perfect for water storing. They may also have hairy or reflective foliage. Also, not all waterwise plants are sun proof, so make sure you do some research before choosing locations for your plants in the garden.
This weekend why not get down to your local nursery and kick start your waterwise garden! Just imagine if every Aussie household implemented a few waterwise plants and less watering, we’d be on our way to less water wasting and lower water bills…sounds good to us!
Dickies Trees are qualified arborists and tree surgeons with 30 years of experience. We specialise in all professional tree services, including tree removal, tree stump grinding, tree lopping and power line clearance. We can also deliver mulch to you, or even prune your trees.
We offer seven day a week service and after hours/emergency call outs. As a major government, shire and business contractor, we are extremely professional and fully insured. We offer you exceptional, reliable service.
Give our friendly team a call on 9249 4077 to discuss your tree requirements. We’re happy to help!