9 tips to maintain your trees
In untouched areas like forests and bushland, trees are able to function as nature intended and produce never-ending amounts of pollution-free oxygen. Although through the process of civilisation, trees have become a major part of human’s lives, we depend on them for shelter, wood, privacy, landscaping and a wide range of health benefits.
We must understand, that without proper tree maintenance, trees in urban areas cannot perform their optimal function – to produce oxygen and dilute pollution levels.
The Dickies Trees team want to share some special tips on how to ensure our urban trees (this includes the trees in your backyard) are being maintained properly, so we can maximise levels of fresh unpolluted air. It’s simple, look after trees, and they will look after you.
- Do not nail or tie things to trees. Use separate supports for bird houses, feeders, ornaments and signs.
- Plant trees in a location that allows unobstructed growth to full-size growth. When planting trees in urban areas, avoid planting them against building, along footpaths or under power lines.
- Keep waterspouts, weak and crossing branches pruned out of the crown interior.
- Monitor for disease and insect problems and use recommended controls.
- Always contact a tree Arborist like Dickies Trees to survey infected branches that need pruning, as DIY is a dangerous option and can result in injury.
- Apply irrigation slowly to prevent runoff. Avoid overwatering your trees.
- Do not pile mulch up against the trunk and avoid using black plastic under the mulch.
- Try and avoid digging, drainage, utility or construction trenches through the root zone.
- For weed control, use only herbicides labeled as safe to use on trees
And there you have it, a few nifty tips and tricks to ensure our valuable and precious trees are kept in good health…so they can provide us with pollution free oxygen that is beneficial to our health.
But remember, if you decide to tend to your trees and something feels unsafe. Give us a call on 9249 4077, and one of our qualified Dickies Arborists will help you decide if it’s a safe DIY or something we need to take care of.
Dickies Trees are qualified arborists and tree surgeons with 30 years of experience. We specialise in all professional tree services, including tree removal, tree stump grinding, tree lopping and power line clearance. We can also deliver mulch to you, or even prune your trees.
We offer seven day a week service and after hours/emergency call outs. As a major government, shire and business contractor, we are extremely professional and fully insured. We offer you exceptional, reliable service.
Give our friendly team a call to discuss your tree requirements.
We’re happy to help!